Feng Shui also known as Chinese geomancy, is a pseudoscience originating from China, which claims to use energy forces to harmonize individuals with their surrounding environment. Feng shui is one of the Five Arts of Chinese Metaphysics, classified as physiognomy (observation of appearances through formulas and calculations). The feng shui practice discusses architecture in terms of “invisible forces” that bind the universe, earth, and humanity together, known as qi.
Bagua known as Eight Diagrams is a set of symbols that describes eight forces that operate throughout the universe and that can also be recognized in a house. There are many formulas that derive from Bagua , all require the use of a compass. For example, the Bagua sectors can be related to certain professions. A simple way to use the Bagua is to look in the figure below for the sector of the Bagua closest to your profession and activate it with the corresponding element.
Feng Shui 24 Mountain Assignment
Feng Shui Compass
There are 2 categories that are Feng Shui for your residence:
- If you live in an apartment: Align the bottom of the Bagua Map with the Front entrance wall. Most likely, your front door would be either in the Knowledge and self cultivation or Career or Helpful People area.
- if you live in a house: Get a compass (probably the easiest way to get a hold of compass readings is to download a free app on your phone) and place the Career area from the map (gua) where your compass indicates the North. The South would be your Reputation gua, etc.
Feng Shui Bagua Map
Image Source : squarespace.com
The Bagua map that the first Feng Shui masters used in China relied on compass directions. Why? So that homes (all set in the countryside) could best benefit from favorable elements and minimize the impact of unfavorable ones (heavy winds or prolonged shade would affect the living conditions of the inhabitants).
Example: Fire and Reputation is in the South because that’s where you get the most Sun (fire).
I always suggest to draw your bagua from your floor plans, rather than doing it in your head. If you don’t have floor plans, try to get accurate readings by measuring your rooms. Your everyday positive attention and expectation will help to create results you desire easier and faster to achieve.
Now, you’ve made it very easy to overlay Feng Shui Bagua Map over your floor plan. Each Life Area or energy center on Bagua corresponds with different part of your life.
You can determine immediately which rooms need to be adjusted or enhanced with Feng Shui principles. Use this Feng Shui Bagua map for your home immediately to resolve the most pressing problems.
For instance, if you have arguments with your child, take a closer look into Children/Creativity Area. If you need a salary increase or new job enhance Helpful People Life Area along with Wealth and Prosperity Area.
Feng Shui bed placement
Feng Shui Elements
One of the basic principles of feng shui is the principle of five elements, which are Wood, Fire, Earth, Metal and Water. These feng shui elements interact between themselves in certain ways, generally defined as the Productive and Destructive cycles.
Each feng shui element is represented by a specific color, and color is the easiest way to use the five elements principle to bring more harmony into your home with feng shui.
The Elements and Their Colors
Here is the color correspondence of each of the five feng shui elements:
- Wood: Green, Brown
- Fire: Red, Strong Yellow, Orange, Purple, Pink
- Earth: Light Yellow, Sandy/Earthy, Light Brown
- Metal: White, Gray
- Water: Blue, Black
Easy Feng Shui Color Tips for Your Home
- Green color is excellent for improving health and balancing family life when used in the East feng shui bagua area of your home.
- Color blue is a very good feng shui choice in the North bagua area to support the energy of your career growth or in the East (health/family) and Southeast (wealth/money) areas to water and nourish the Wood feng shui element.
- Have some strong yellow color in the South feng shui bagua area for happy gatherings and good times.
- Pure white color in the West feng shui bagua area (creativity and children) will bring supportive energy for all your creative endeavors.
Finally, always remain cognizant of the energies in your man-cave and how it affects and influences your well-being. Awareness of the feng shui in particular will help you determine the most appropriate practices for ensuring health, and emotional and mental well-being.